Friday, March 20, 2020

Trying to carry on .. is that the right thing to do?


 Today was day 5 of the school shut down and the hectic , craziness that my person went through for the first four days : making packages, sorting packages, giving out packages and quietly grieving for the class time that would never happen wasn't there today. It was a scheduled work day for her school and so it was an odder feeling: knowing that her " kids" wouldn't have been there anyway, but feeling that loss that they were gone for at least another week. I tried to help out the best I could, there was data to collect on the weather , there were decisions to be made about what to include in new packets and online "just in case" , she needed to start recording the rest of the Martian so that her kids would know what happened to Mark Watney and there were so many other decisions that she was trying to decide , but was waiting for information. I was sad, the teachers were all ..... waiting.... just waiting.... wanting to see their kids and share the past few days, wanting to laugh and release tension and just wanting things to get back to normal.

But , which normal? The normal that is now? The normal last Friday ? or two weeks ago Friday? I hope her kids know how sad she is that she doesn't have normal with them and she can't wait to see them again. I think , ( yes I know I'm a sock monkey , but I CAN think when I want to ) , that she needs to set up a ZOOM meeting with them. You know, just to say hi! How are you all doing? Maybe tell some stories or a joke or two. I think I will suggest that to her ... maybe any of her kids reading this could ask to have a meeting. I personally think it would be amazing and I will be there too. So what do we do this weekend? I know it is the weekend and it doesn't really feel like it. Well, I made a new squirrel friend and smelled a violet or two and helped prune the kiwi plant. But , I think just getting out into the warm air and the nice weather will help everyone. I think my person said something about hiking off of the Blue Ridge Parkway... hope I get to go so I can share pictures with everyone. I am POSITIVE that we will get through whatever we need to get through and that we will be better people for it. So, let's meet up! Let's share ideas! Let's get out in nature and explore the environment! Slow down and enjoy for a short time , no pressure..... just joy!
 I want to share one more thing: 6 Valuable lessons you can learn from The Martian by Andy Weir. That's the book that my person is reading with her class.....
1.  Focus on the moment
2.   Try Anyway
3.   Take stock of your situation
4.    Make a short term plan
5.    Solutions don't have to be sophisticated
6.    Don't give up - don't ever give up!


 

                                                                  Mark Watney is my hero!




No comments:

Post a Comment