Saturday, March 21, 2020

Clean air and sunshine do such great things for the body and mind.......

Day 6 of the Corona virus invasion into our lives and people are still being really dumb. Not that my person is always perfect , but she did make sure that we didn't stop anywhere today that had a ton of people. There were some nutcases that were at Stone Mountain in groups of 100 or more... but I get distracted. So today, we decided, well my person decided since although I probably could drive, my height would be a bit of an impairment , that we would practice social distancing in the mountains, hiking about and exploring on the Blue Ridge Parkway. She is right a lot of times and today was not an exception. We saw maybe 10 other people all day and that included my two people. We stopped at lots of overlooks that were hard to overlook!! Haha!! get it? Anyway, they had some great views and if you wandered down a trail or two, you actually saw things that normally it would be too crowded to see and heard birds and other critters that normally it would be too noisy to hear with all sorts of people talking and kids running around. We saw the Cascades waterfalls, which were really cool. They were a shear drop on layers of slate.... my person decided to climb up on the wall... good thing she is as nimble as a monkey ( I guess I taught her well ) ..... They were gorgeous! The hike on the other hand was straight down to see them and well... you know what that means: straight up to get back to the Jeep. But it was worth it , seriously. We wandered around and climbed this really big hill that ended in a field that was part of a trail and the view from there was breathtaking... we could see all the way to Pilot Knob Mountain that is in Mt Airy - you  know that town that was where the Andy Griffith Show was set. We had a great time... snacked on good food and drank lots of water , because when we started out, it was a bit nippy and then it got REALLY hot and we were all sweaty climbing around. Sometimes, fate steps in and changes things and so it was never meant for a sock monkey to be hot and sweaty .Fast forward to when we were exploring this amazing place with moss covered trees and a beautiful stream flowing over rocks area and I decided that the best photo op would be to head to a rock in the middle of the steam. Enter Fate: well let me tell you, that water was cold and the thought of traveling face first down the length of the stream to end, where ever that might be was a bit scary. Just as I thought that my blogging days were through, I was snatched up out of the water by my tail and carried to the stream bank. I was grateful to be sure, but was totally embarrassed when one of my people started at my head and squeezed my body all the way to my toes to get all the water out of my stuffing. How embarrassing and I am sadder to say that it didn't work and so I spent the rest of the trip wrapped up in a towel to dry off and stay warm. Word to the wise: watch your footing when wading in mountain streams.
My words of wisdom today come from Anne Frank:  “The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature, and God.” Anne Frank

I am including an assortment of pictures from today. Please enjoy and remember , you can always comment to me.






















No comments:

Post a Comment