Monday, June 30, 2014

Good Morning Star shine........

That line from a 1970's song has never seemed more appropriate than this morning! After a really out cold, dead sleep, I am awakened by the shrill , jarring alarm that you find on iPhones now a days and rousted out of my nice cozy duvet covered sleep to head out to breakfast and begin my day...

Ok so I get it.. time to rise and shine ,but it is 7am and there is no hint of a rising sun...as in .. are you kidding me? It is pitch black out and the birds are not even thinking about singing. But being the good room-mate that I try to be, I get some clothes on and head down to breakfast so my roomie won't have to eat alone. She has traveled extensively, and has been teaching elementary school for 35 years and we will leave it at that.

I am now into my third cup of coffee and am thinking that this will be a very hard week to get the protein that my body has become accustomed to... many thanks for GNC and their packets of shake protein mix that I can use when I feel in a pinch.

So how did yesterday go? Was it less eventful than the day before? I mean really .. how can anyone have another day as adventure and excitement filled as my first 24 hours? You say to yourself, yep! I agree with her.... isn't possible. Trust me, it is. After seeing Karine and Shady ( pronounced Sha - dee ) off at breakfast, I had another latte and then gathered my bearings and belongings and just relaxed until the rest of the crew was up and about. Come to find out that they have completely acclimated to Argentine time and were out partying until 4 am. This did not stop them and soon the stragglers wandered down stairs and we went out into the sunshine of a B.A. morning.

There was a plan in effect - hit the Opera House first and then wander down to the south part of the city; check out a couple of parks ( one where there is supposed to be " the" game screen of the city ready for Tuesday's game , then off to Recollete ( sp ) , check out Eva Perron's tomb,  get food, gather our stuff and head to the aeroporte for travel to Patagonia.

We actually did all that we planned and found Evita's final resting place ( in and amongst what can only be considered a local weeping angels hang out! ) Food became a necessity as we walked ALL over town and as luck would have it , we found a local place that served the most fantastic , rustic , authentic Argentinian food. White sweet potatoes baked and covered with a mixture on one of cheese and spinach and pumpkin , the covered with honey and nuts. Casseroles of pumpkin and cheeses and spinach and empanadas full of pumpkin.... we ate and ate and ate....

To counter our excessive eating , we walked back to the hotel to get our airport transfers and on the way we saw : Tom's" like shoes with world cup team flags...... oh how we all drooled for the want of a pair representing the USA. It was not to be ... Sunday and the store was closed.

The rest of the trip to the airport was uneventful.... but the excitement continued as one of our merry band left her passport in the taxi and another found that her luggage was overweight based on in country Argentinian standards and had to pay  200 pesos to get her bags loaded on the plane........ extra fee paid: bags checked ; taxis driver returns and brings lost passport: passenger elated..

Sleep is calling and I plan on staying awake long enough to buckle my seat belt..... and then  ....wait ! We are landing? Already? But I haven't had any sleep........oh I did? two hours later? Sure  thing: feels great.

Check at the hotel after a 40km ride and we are good to go..........sleep sleep sleep.......

ADD moment: see that woven shawl in the native artisans section of the hotel? and all the other handmade stuff............. sounds like a take home idea to me......................

 

No comments:

Post a Comment