Sunday, August 12, 2018

If it's Friday , it must be Anstruther

Is it Friday already? That hardly seems possible.Well, give the late hour  that we got in last night and the fact that having no changes of clothing but two ( washing things out every other day ) , today was a leisurely start to the morning. I believe in fact that we didn't meet until. Around 9:30 am and after taking our time enjoying breakfast and a cappuccino or two, we headed out - bookcase, camera and water bottles in tow. Ignoring the darkening skies and the wildly whipping wind, we set our to find a stone circle or two , walk the Fife Coastal path and have a lunch consisting of some sort or other of with freshly caught fish, lobster or mussels. The goal for the day , you see was to get some great food, culture and archaeology that was pertinent to our grant and then return to the hotel early enough to get a good night's sleep. My secret goal was to have my luggage be waiting for me at whatever time I returned.

I have a pretty good conversational relationship with the lovely lady that cares for my room and so when I was thinking about where to end up on the 117 mile long coastal path, my mind naturally went to asking a local person. She was amazing and suggested that we go along the coast until we reached the sleepy fishing village of Anstruther. She was completely accurate. It was about 48 miles from the hotel and not an unpleasant drive. We got to the village in time to walk about a bit and then head to the Anstruther Fish Bar for the freshest food I think I have ever eaten. Now mind you I didn't say I had fish and chips, but the prawns were so fresh that they were still wiggling their little tails. While Steve was waiting on the food to be cooked, I went and found a bench to eat the food on while we watched  the crowd and the sky. Yup, I did say sky. Now for anyone that knows me, you are probably saying , no big deal, she does that all the time. Yes that is true. This sky was dark and menacing and the thunder was rolling. Again, you say " so what? She loves thunderstorms"... yes I do , but I was hungry and this thunderstorm had the potential to interrupt a really good meal.

The storm rolled around, circling our wee small area and seemed to wait until we were finished with our lunch before it said, " That's enough time" and let go with all of the wind and rain it could toss our way. No worries, we just popped into one of the small shops and waited until it calmed down. Now, most of you know that my next move was to collect sand. But there was a huge distraction as the beach was also littered with sea glass and in colors that were vibrant. I collected as much as I could put into my hands and pockets and the sky opened up again. The closest waiting spot was the overhang at the loo so, there we waited. The last bit of rain didn't last long and the next adventure was to head out to the point and see the rock formations. It was about a 30 minute walk , but we found beautiful things on the way, so it took about 45 minutes in all : two shell houses ( houses completely covered in shells), a lovely church cemetery with a tomb of an unknown soldier and a headstone from the 1600's , then the most amazing rock formations I have seen in a very long time highlighted by a rainbow shining above them.

After walking the trail for a ways and climbing the rock and various other playful activities, we decided it was time to head back to the hotel since our Saturday explorations were to locate Neolithic rocks in the area near  Loch Lomond. This means we need to leave about 7:30 am . It was a relatively quick trip back to the hotel and as we gathered our belongings from the car , that queasy, uneasy feeling crept back into the pit of my stomach.... what if my suitcase was still missing? I walked into the lobby and slowly worked my way towards the reception desk... wanting to look, but not wanting to look just in case I would be disappointed again. But.... there.. sitting in the corner was my bag!! My black and white hounds tooth bag! My 3 luggage tags on the handle bag!! I carried my bag to the room and immediately opened it and smelled the laundry detergent smell that my clothing carried... it was like heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment